The distilling process is essential if you live in an area where the water is not that clean. Generally, the water bodies near the industrial sectors have a lot of chemicals and not suitable for drinking. Not only for drinking, but people into research also use distilled water as there are no harmful chemicals in it. Distilled water is used in industries, laboratories, and many such places.
Best Hot Plate for Distilling
There are many hot plates available in the market today that are useful for distilling water. These hot plates are mostly multi-functional and help boil water and make other food items as well. Purchasing a hot plate that is for all-in-one purposes can be a good investment as it can be used in more than one ways.
So now if you are wondering which hot plate is the best one to buy then don’t worry I am sharing a list of the hot plates that you can check out and decide which one is suitable for you.
1. Cadco CSR-3T Countertop for Distilling
Cadco Countertop is definitely the best choice if you are looking for a sturdy hot plate. It has an eight-inch tubular element. The plate comes with Robertshaw thermostat that enables the hot plate to get the desired temperature while controlling the temperature. The power light on the hot plate indicates if the burner is on. It also meets the requirements for safety and sanitary. The hot plate can be used for boiling, distilling, shimmer, etc.
- The hot plate has a sturdy construction made from the metal.
- Cleaning stainless housing is easy.
- The hot plate also has a broad base with dense rubber feet that helps in getting the stability even when the large vessels are kept on it.
- The hot plate heats up and cools down quickly.
- It has on/off rocker switch that makes it user-friendly.
2. Broil King CSR-3TB Professional Single Hot Plate
Broil King is one of the options that you can go for if you are searching for top-rated and high power hot plate. It has high speed eight-inch tubular element with 120 Volts- 1500 Watts. It has Robertshaw thermostat that enables to control the heat for achieving the desired temperature. This product is industrial rated that is suitable for using to boil, shimmer, saute, etc with a sturdy housing. Due to its ability to control the temperature, it can be used for distilling water in the house as well.
- The hot plate is made from the heavy duty steel that is of premium quality and durable.
- The hot plate has a power light that indicates when the burners are turned on.
- Its housing can be easily cleaned as it is made up of stainless steel.
- It comes in the size of 14e X 4 ⅛ X 12 ¼ inch in a vibrant grey color.
- The hot plate can be used to make a variety of food. It is of commercial quality.
3. Secura Cooktop Countertop Burner
If you are searching for a hot plate that you can carry along while traveling, then this is the option you can consider. Secura cooktop is compact, lightweight and portable. The best feature of this hot plate is that it operates on induction so you can use it anywhere. The cooktop has all the safety features that indicate auto-pan detection, over-heat protection with a diagnostic error message. It has 15 power levels along with temperature settings from 140 degrees Fahrenheit to 460 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The hot plate has a built-in countdown digital timer up to 170 minutes.
- There is a digital control panel and LED display on the hot plate for viewing and easy control.
- The hot plate also has a low and high voltage warning system.
- This cooktop is 50% more efficient as compared to other gas stoves.
- It is compatible with magnetic cookware made for the induction specifically.
4. Moonshine distiller for Distilling
The Moonshine distiller as the name suggests is an excellent buy if you are buying it for distilling mainly. It is also suitable for cooking food, to use in labs and much more. The hot plate is multi-purpose equipment that can be used anywhere easily.
- The hot plate comes with a European style plug.
- It is also suitable for heating the food before serving.
- The plug given with the distiller can adapt to the 220V circuit.
- The hot plate is recommended for the objects weighing less than 10lbs.
So these are some options for the hot plates that you can consider if you are planning to purchase it specifically for distilling. However many people are not aware of the fact that the distilling process for water can be done at home very quickly. To help my readers understand the process, I will share the procedure step-by-step.
How to distill water at home?
Distilling water is the process by which the minerals and chemicals in the water are removed. Such water is safe for drinking, watering plants, using in laboratories and much more. A lot of people think that the distillation process is complicated and time-consuming. But that is not true; you can literally distill tap water or rainwater using the procedure that I have mentioned below:
- Take water in the vessel for boiling water. Fill the water such that half of the vessel is filled only.
- Now take a glass bowl and place it in the vessel. Make sure that the glass bowl is floating on water. If not then reduce the level of water in the vessel.
- Once this apparatus is ready, turn on the flame and let the water boil.
- Chemicals like ethanol and methanol will evaporate when the water boils.
- Invert the lid of the vessel and add ice on the top of it.
- Chemicals like methanol and ethanol evaporate first when water starts boiling.
- Adding ice will create condensation as there is a heat/cold barrier. Let the water boil till you notice the water condensing on the lid.
- Observe water in the lid and when you notice that the water has condensed turn off the flame. The water in the vessel is now distilled and is ready to use.
- Now remove the vessel and let it cool down.
- Once it is cooled down, transfer distilled water from the vessel to the bottle with the help of the glass bowl and store it for further use.
I hope this article is helpful to select the hot plate that is best suited for you and fits under your budget. Also if you find it difficult to distill water at home, then you can watch the videos and tutorials for getting some help.